The Bows and Beaus Singles and Couples Square Dance Club of the
Mountain View /
area of California is a member of the
Santa Clara Valley Square Dancers Association (SCVSDA),
and is one of the longest operating and most respected square dance clubs in the Santa Clara Valley. Our caller,
has been calling for the club since 1987 and is an Accredited Member of CALLERLAB.
He has been voted one of the Top Ten callers by
members of the SCVSDA and especially enjoys teaching newer dancers.
Learn to Square Dance!
Our class is off to a great start!
Although registration for this class is now closed, we'd like to let you know about future classes. Just
send us a message and we'll be happy to send information.
Our classes are open to both singles and couples, and you may attend either with or without a partner!
Square dancing is lots of fun,
a great way to meet people, and provides enjoyable exercise for both the mind and body!
Once you have learned the basics (which for us means up through the internationally recognized Plus program),
you can dance almost every night of the week, if you wish!
There are often dances (called Hoedowns) on weekends, with even larger events
at various times throughout the year.
Where Do We Dance?
Both the class and club dance at:
- Loyola Elementary School
- 770 Berry Avenue
Los Altos, CA
Click for map.
See Dance Schedule, below,
for any temporary changes to this location!
- Our mailing address is:
- Bows and Beaus
PO Box 1107
Mountain View, CA 94042
- Our e-mail address is:
The club dances the
program of Western Square Dancing
on Wednesday evenings from 7:30 p.m. to 9:45 p.m. Partners are
Please see Club News or Dance Schedule
for more information.
The club also sponsors a beginning square dance class
each year on Monday evenings.
Bows & Beaus began dancing in 1963 at an apartment house in Mountain View, and remained in that city for many years.
After a brief time in Palo Alto, we moved to Los Altos in 2006.
Today our dancers come from throughout the South San Francisco Bay region: Redwood City, Menlo Park, Stanford, Palo Alto,
Mountain View, Los Altos and Los Altos Hills, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Campbell, Los Gatos, San Jose,
Santa Cruz, Fremont, and Milpitas! We've also welcomed visitors from throughout the United States and from other countries!
If you would like more information please
send us a message.
The Ice Cream Fling Thing!
43rd Annual -- June 6, 2015
John Muir Middle School
Michael Kellogg, Caller
Since 1973 local square dancers have welcomed the month of June by attending the
Ice Cream Fling Thing,
the Anniversary Dance of the Bows & Beaus.
Held the first Saturday of June,
the 43rd Annual dance will be on
June 6, 2015, at 7:30 p.m. at
John Muir Middle School,
1260 Branham Lane, in San Jose.
Sue & Phil Harris, Rounds
- Wednesday, March 11: St. Patrick's Party Night
- Our March 11 Party Night will have a St. Patrick's theme.
- Wednesday, March 18: Dance at Almond School!
- Because of other activities at Loyola School, the club will dance at
Almond School, 550 Almond Avenue, in Los Altos.
- Saturday, March 21: Bows & Beaus Newer Dancer Hoedown
- The Bows & Beaus Newer Dancer Hoedown will be at Sunnyvale Presbyterian Church on March 21.
See Class News for more information.
- Members' Only Page: It's Here!
We now have a special web page for "Members' Only".
If you are a Bows & Beaus Member, and have not received a Username and Password,
contact the club's President.
- Future Club Activities
- Throughout the year, Bows & Beaus participates in many special activities.
Here is a partial list of some coming club and dancer association events.
See the club newsletter and listen for announcements on club dance nights for more information.
Club Members can also visit the Members Only Page for information on these and other events.
- Saturday, March 14: SCVSDA General Dance Program Dance (Palo Alto).
- Wednesday, March 18: Dance at Almond School.
- Saturday, March 21: Bows & Beaus Newer Dancer Hoedown (January Class Level).
- Saturday, April 25: SCVSDA General Dance Program Dance.
- Saturday, May 30: SCVSDA/SCVCA Callers' Appreciation Dance Whing Ding.
- Saturday, June 6: Ice Cream Fling Thing.
- Saturday, August 29 SCVSDA/SCVCA Whing Ding.
- Saturday, October 31 SCVSDA/SCVCA Whing Ding.
- (Above information subject to change)
- DBD Plus Workshop
- This "Dancing by Definition" (DBD) workshop is conducted during the second and third tips
of most club dance nights.
- Membership Forms and Information
- Obtain forms to Apply for Membership, Request a Leave of Absence (2 to 6 months), or
Change Information (address, telephone, e-mail, or emergency contact).
A copy of the Bylaws is also available.
- Monday, March 9
- On Monday, March 9, we plan to teach Wheel & Deal. This call can be done from either "Two-Faced Lines" or
- Wheel & Deal from Two-Faced Lines:
- Wheel & Deal from Back-to-Back Lines:
- Something New Has Been Added (Quick Tutorials)!
- Thanks to the efforts of the webmaster for the Santa Clara Valley Square Dancers Association,
some excellent animated "Quick Tutorials" are now available for many of the basic calls
now being taught. Click the
button below, and then click the name of a call (e.g., Box Circulate) in the list at the left side of the page.
Note: Not all of the calls listed have a "Quick Tutorial"
available (more are still being added), but if the tutorial is not available a written definition will be shown and
icons in the upper right corner of the page will display other animations.
Also: Don't Miss the "Call Name Practice" button in the top left corner of the Quick Tutorials page.
This button will display a customized and interactive "practice quiz" on some of the calls you have learned.
It is really rather fun to try!
The "Sample Singing Calls" button, also in the top left corner of the Quick Tutorials page, show folks actually
dancing singing calls using only the calls that have been taught in this class!
- Monday, March 16: St. Patrick's Theme Night
- St. Patrick's Eve will be the theme on March 16.
Dress in GREEN and bring finger food (if you wish).
And, of course, we will also be learning and dancing some new calls!
- Saturday, March 21, Bows & Beaus Newer Dancer Hoedown
- Bows & Beaus January Class Level Hoedown
(only the calls that have been taught will be used).
Saturday, March 21, 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.
Sunnyvale Presbyterian Church, 728 W. Fremont Avenue, Sunnyvale.
Square dance attire not required!
Donation: $10 (Youth $5).
Tork Clark and
- What's been taught?
- The List of Calls Taught page is updated every week, and provides links to various online
learning resources, including animations, definitions, and videos.
Just click on the button below to start exploring these resources.
- Clicking the name of a call links directly to the TAMinations page for that call, showing both the
definition of the call and an animation. Try setting the speed of the animation to "SLOW"
when first learning the call.
- Videos (from SaddleBrooke Squares) are available by clicking the ∇ symbol
following the name of the call.
- Click "Tutorials & Animations" in the left pane of the List of Calls Taught page for links to Quick Tutorials,
an interactive practice quiz, additional animations, and other information provided by the
Santa Clara Valley Square Dancers Association.
(Note: This page can also be reached by clicking the "Quick Tutorials" button, below).